Sunday, June 22, 2014

June 22, 2014

8am
It's breezy and a bit chilly this morning, but I know it will warm up quickly. Not sure about the breeze ... but, I am determined to finish painting that back wall today.
Snake and Dune
Flickr user Dagmar Collins | Oceano Dunes, California

I have always loved the desert. One sits down on a desert sand dune, sees nothing, hears nothing. Yet through the silence something throbs, and gleams.
~ Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Denali
Flickr user Andy Renkert | Mt. Denali photographed from Talkeetna, Alaska

The Wilderness holds answers to more questions than we have yet learned to ask.
~ Nancy Wynne Newhall

Oh, cool. I just got another book wish filled at Paperback Swap - Mahu Men by Neil S. Plakcy. I think I need two more books in that series to complete it.

I finally finished reading The Land of Stories: The Enchantress Returns by Chris Colfer. Such a fun story. I can't wait to get the third story, A Grimm Warning when it comes out next month! But, for now, my next read is the Libary To Go Big Read book, A Pedigree To Die For by Laurien Berenson. It's part of the Adult Summer Reading program at my local library.

10:30am
I did it! The back wall is finished!! Tomorrow, I start on the deck-side wall! Yay! This side should go pretty quickly this week, barring heavy winds. I really fought with the breeze and the clumping paint today because I wanted to get it done. But, the sun drying the paint and making it clump won't be as big of a problem on the side. I can see getting all of the gray done by the time my vacation is over. And, possibly, starting some of the red trim by next weekend.

Gonna go out in a bit and get those parts numbers from the A/C and get them ordered.

1:30pm
Well, that is not going to be as quick and easy as I had hoped. Finding the parts for such an old unit is going to take some doing. I've got messages out to some sellers on eBay and hope they get back to me with the info I need to order the right parts (if they have them!)

Making a new batch of kombucha. I'm doing a 2nd ferment on the previous batch with apple and vanilla.

4:30pm
Got the barbecue started. I'm using the smallest cast iron Dutch oven on the grill to cook a couple of sweet potatoes in butter, salt & pepper, then I'll be grilling beef heart, and a small cactus paddle (nopal) basted in olive oil. We've never had cactus paddle, but have eaten its fruit (prickly pear.) So, we'll see if we like it. I got a discount bag of them at the co-op the other day. Plus, when my mom moved ours so I could work on the back wall, several broke off, so I told her to save them. I hope we like them. We've got plenty!

6:15pm
OMG! I am stuffed. Everything turned out great. The sweet potatoes just melted in my mouth. The cactus was different, but good. I can get used to it. And ... the beef heart fat was yummy. Sadly, I couldn't eat much of the rest of the heart, though, as it was mostly valves/arteries ... I can't chew those (not enough molars ...) So, I ate some of the crispy fat. Nice and filling. I cut the rest of it into chunks and I'm going to grind it in the old meat grinder tomorrow for some of Nikky's meals.

I'm already on chapter 6 of the Big Read book. It's a fun story. I used to show dogs, so I'm getting into it!

No comments: