Sunday, July 27, 2014

July 27, 2014

5:15pm
I got a bit more painting done today. Nearly half-way across the top of the windows. That peak is going to be a little tricky to do. But, I will do that next weekend. My mom has one of the shutters completely painted and has started on a second one. She'll probably have all 4 of them done by the end of the week.
I moved Paloma into a bigger cage. I found my extra perches out in the shed. She's much happier and has really been preening since I moved her. Much more room to spread her wings.
I made a quick dinner tonight. I found these recipes: Stir-Fried Purslane, Chinese Style & Bacon-Wrapped Cheese-Stuffed Chili Pepper,
Of course, I adapted them a bit! I fried up chopped bacon and then fried the purslane and other ingredients (omitted the oils in the recipe) with it. OMG. That was so good! I didn't have enough bacon to wrap the peppers, so just laid a small piece on top of each stuffed pepper. I baked them at 350° for about 30 minutes rather than barbecued. And, oooooowweeeee, they were spicy hot. But, soooo good.
Leftovers for the freezer!
I found a ringneck dove group on FaceBook! So much good info on there. I need to get some close-up identifying pics of my doves (their eyes, beaks, feet and tail bars) to make sure which type of whites I have and Paloma's genetic color, too. Lots of pics to compare them to. I love color genetics! I've only really studied them in-depth in dogs and mice. I want to learn more on hamsters, too.

6:15pm
Gah! My mom wants to move the doves back into the other room. She's the one that wanted them in the living room!! I told her I didn't want them in here since the 'dove room' is where I wanted them all along. And, now she is wanting to move the big table again into spaces it won't fit without moving EVERYTHING else! I don't want to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to work tomorrow. I'm not moving furniture now. My shoulder hurts from painting and hauling a ladder around today and moving furniture YESTERDAY! Grump. Now she's getting pissy at me ... great.

OK. Crisis averted. I told her to wait until Wednesday since I am off that day due to no gas for the car by then. I doubt she will wait until then, though. She'll try moving things herself and then I'll have to finish it all ... and the wheels will come off of the bird shelves ... I can just see it all now ... ugh. Yeah ... worse case scenarios are my life.

Zion National Park
Flickr user DavidSilvaPhotography | The Narrows of the Virgin River, Zion National Park, Utah

Earth and sky, woods and fields, lakes and rivers, the mountain and the sea, are excellent schoolmasters, and teach some of us more than we can ever learn from books.
~ John Lubbock

Falcons
Flickr user Steve Corey | Pismo Beach, California

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.
~ Sun Tzu
Drops of Water
Flickr user Fishhawk | Danville, Pennsylvania

Little drops of water,
Little grains of sand,
Make the mighty ocean
And the pleasant land. Thus the little minutes,
Humble though they be,
Make the mighty ages
Of eternity.

~ Julia Abigail Fletcher Carney
Alaska
Flickr user Andy Renkert | Lower Summit Lake - Kenai Peninsula, Alaska

Nature is painting for us, day after day, pictures of infinite beauty if only we have the eyes to see them.
~ John Ruskin

No comments: