Tuesday, November 25, 2014

November 25, 2014

3pm
I am starting to feel sore ... but, I had fun this morning! I harvested organic olives for about 2 hours this morning before I went and serviced one of my stores. I would do it again! And, I earned a bottle of last year's vintage organic olive oil. I think it's a 12 oz. bottle. Good size, anyway.
This little grove is about 7 years old - it is on the UCDavis campus. They said that this year's harvest is about triple of last year's. So, even with the drought, it's doing well. All the trees are still small enough to be harvested from the ground (just reach up to pull some of the branches down.) Next year, they may need to use ladders for some of the bigger trees. Basically, we just laid out a huge blue tarp between the rows and pulled the olives off the branches (wearing gripper gloves.) It was very easy. I told them if they have another harvest before the end of the season, I'll be there - I'll get another bottle of olive oil for it! ;)
I got home and my mom had made a gluten-free blueberry muffin-cake. She didn't want to use the muffin tin, so she just made a little cake. It turned out pretty good. She is not good at making gluten-free stuff, so she doesn't try much. I know she misses baking, but ... she's not patient enough to figure out the gluten-free stuff. Thank goodness for Bob's Red Mill gluten-free products.
Merced National Wildlife Refuge
Flickr user Rick Derevan | Merced National Wildlife Refuge, California | View a larger image and leave a comment.

Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not.

~ Theodor Seuss Geisel

4:30pm
Cassia's pups are really getting around now. I think everyone's eyes are open, now. The bigger pups have made their own nest and the smaller ones are still with mama. I love instinct.
6pm
Dinner was good. Pork shoulder steaks with fried onions; blueberry muffin cake; and I made a barley drink - that wasn't so good. ;) Ran out of milk. Need to get more tomorrow ...



No comments: