Saturday, September 12, 2015

September 12, 2015

5:15pm
I'm exhausted. But, in a good way. I spent most of the day driving to and from a morning of volunteering. It was fun! I'm a volunteer for Tuleyome - Deep Place Home. It's an environmental group and was instrumental in getting Berryessa Snow Mountain declared a National Monument. Today (in association with The United Way's Day of Caring, and the BLM) we worked at one of the lower picnic sites at Cache Creek Regional Park (which is at one of the central/eastern sections of the monument.) There were a LOT of volunteers and many of them worked on dismantling all of the damaged/aged picnic tables and the cinder block barbecues on a part of the Blue Ridge Trail that is currently closed. Several of us did pick-up of litter around the trails. I filled 2 big bags-ful and also got a bunch of bottles/cans for recycling! Then, an area restaurant (from Davis) catered a barbecue for us! I was stuffed. And, I got to take home some of the leftovers! I also won a prize in the raffle. A really nice leather-covered notebook. Afterwards, I walked down to a section of Cache Creek and soaked my feet in a slow section of rapids.
It sprinkled for a bit when we were setting up.
Yolo County's only campgrounds
Getting assignments
Little lizard I disturbed while picking up garbage.
Peeking out of his hole.
Barbecue picnic
My raffle prize!
This is where I soaked my feet.
You can see how low the water is. This whole section should be under water. The sand starts to the right of the picture.
As I was coming down out of Cache Creek Canyon, the whole area looked smoky. There was no smoke this morning when I went up there. Another fire started at about the same time we were all getting ready to go. It is about 10 miles west of where we were.
It's called the Valley Fire - http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents/incidents_details_info?incident_id=1226
Here are some more pics from someone else who volunteered today: https://www.facebook.com/Tuleyome/posts/10153577872127145

And, here's a group pic of most of us - I'm in the front row with the blue cap and glasses, ... squatting, of course. ;)



No comments: